Wednesday 21 November 2012

A letter to Murdoch........

Dear Mr Murdoch,

I am aware that you are considering charging for online news content. I don't think this is a good idea as there are many disadvantages to this idea. Firstly, everything on the internet is predominantly free so consumers will find other alternatives on finding the news. By monetizing news alienates audience and may lead to one type of group purchasing the news. Also, even though there may be some profit behind this, there will not be as much money as you may of planned since the subscription maybe cheap(ish) but it wont be enough to cover somebody's wages.

In other words, keep news free and leave it to the consumers discretion whether they would like to subscribe instead of forcing them.

Think about what I've said, and I will be glad to hear from you.

Mayor of the world,

Mica Maynard


1 comment:

  1. Dear Mica,
    I have read your letter and taken into consideration what you have said. However I don't strongly agree with what you are saying as I believe that a regulation should be made when providing news to the public. Although most online news is free; I believe that the quality of my product is worth paying for as I can offer a lot more. Another reason why I have decided to charge for online news is to make higher profit margins and I believe that this cannot happen through print due to new technology that is being introduced as consumers demand for print newspapers has decreased as they can access it online for free. Also what you said about cheap subscriptions won’t affect my profit levels, and the end of the day there will be more money coming into my business increasing my revenue which most businesses aim to do.
    yours sincerely Rupert Murdoch

    ReplyDelete